FAQ FAQ Search Search
Log me on automatically each visit    
Register Register Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Disk Inventory X Support Forum : Forum Index » Feature Requests

Reply to topic
Color customization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anoved
PostPosted: Mon 06 Dec, 2004 6:05    Post subject: Color customization Reply with quote

First of all, I like the new initial window that shows how full each volume is. I have six partitions so it is a nice starting point.

I also like the ability to include free space in the map. All the new options are nice.

My only request would be the ability to assign custom colors for the different file types, for instance by clicking on the color key in the file types drawer to bring up a color palette. Then all files of that type would change to the selected color. I don't know if the user's color settings should be saved and used for all displays until changed or not.

How are the default colors assigned, anyway? Looks like a couple internally defined common types (ZIP, text, etc) have colors and everything else is grey. Maybe a preference to assign random colors to all undefined color types would be neat (although I could imagine cases where too much color static would be confusing).

Just some ideas to play with.
Tjark Derlien

PostPosted: Mon 06 Dec, 2004 22:14    Post subject: Re: Color customization Reply with quote

Quote:
My only request would be the ability to assign custom colors for the different file types, for instance by clicking on the color key in the file types drawer to bring up a color palette.

Yes, I'm thinking about to implement the ability to change the use of colors. Please read on below.

Quote:
How are the default colors assigned, anyway? Looks like a couple internally defined common types (ZIP, text, etc) have colors and everything else is grey.

DIX has 8 predefined colors which are assigned to the 8 "largest kinds" (the idea behind this is that it's getting harder and harder to distinguish the colors if there are more than 8).
The rest of the kinds are assigned to the grey color. This color assignment is made across all opened folders (the color assignment is shared).
So if you load the first folder all 8 colors may be assigned to some kinds (if the folder contains files of at least 8 different kinds). If you now open a second folder with totally different file kinds, there are no more colors left and all kinds of the second folder are assigned to the grey color.
The only way to reset the assignments is to restart DIX.

An approach to make this more controllable to the user is to
(a) provide an option whether the color assignment should be shared among the open folders,
(b) let the user manually invoke a reset of the assignment across all open folders (so the 8 colors are assigned to the 8 largest kinds where the 8 largest kinds are determined regarding all files in all open folders) or
(c) a + b

I've add a topic on my to do list...
aikidokid
PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 1:12    Post subject: Color customization Reply with quote

The file kind stats window is very practical and could possibly interact more with the opened volume window.

Running out of colors is going to happen a lot because of the many file types.

If by clicking an entry in the kind stats window it could highlight the items in the treemap, blinking or other graphical method, this would be an excellent feature. If it would still work while zooming in it would be even greater.
Nick Sloan
PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use DIX a lot, but every time I come back to it I am fascinated anew. The single greatest improvement for me would be the ability to assign permanent colours to file types: clicking on the colour in the Kind pane would bring up the System Color Picker.

I realise that this contradicts the way colours are assigned now. Perhaps there could be a preference between persistant or on-the-fly colour assignments, or perhaps only those colours which are customized would retain their colours permanently.

And I agree with akidokid: being able to click on a file type and have files of that type highlight in the treemap (by ourlining? -- please not blinking) would be agreat addition.[/i]
Tjark Derlien

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I see the color management need a refinement.
I'm currently working on version 1.0. Please forgive me that I won't address this issue in 1.0, but the following version.

Quote:
And I agree with akidokid: being able to click on a file type and have files of that type highlight in the treemap (by ourlining? -- please not blinking) would be agreat addition.

Please have look here at let me know what you think:
http://www.derlien.com/diskinventoryx/DIX1.0SelectionListFeaturePreview/
Fabrice Vincent
PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:16    Post subject: Cool Reply with quote

Tjark Derlien wrote:
Yes, I see the color management need a refinement.
I'm currently working on version 1.0. Please forgive me that I won't address this issue in 1.0, but the following version.

Quote:
And I agree with akidokid: being able to click on a file type and have files of that type highlight in the treemap (by ourlining? -- please not blinking) would be agreat addition.

Please have look here at let me know what you think:
http://www.derlien.com/diskinventoryx/DIX1.0SelectionListFeaturePreview/

Cool!
I recently discovered DIX and found it very usefull.
Moreover, the color management feature is precisely the main feature I miss so hearing it could be included soon is a great new!
Tjark Derlien

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr, 2005 7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to your and other users' demands I will implement option (a) (see above) in the next release.
A more feature-rich color management may be added later.

-Tjark
of
PostPosted: Sat 14 May, 2005 15:01    Post subject: Another idea for colors Reply with quote

Like others I would like to assign colors to certain file types. And I would like to switch between color-schemes quickly.
My idea is to assign colors not only to file types, but to make the color dependant of the AGE of a file. E.g. the older their creation/mod date is, the more the color would be a dark-red, while younger files have a light-blue color.
Tjark Derlien

PostPosted: Sat 14 May, 2005 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My idea is to assign colors not only to file types, but to make the color dependant of the AGE of a file. E.g. the older their creation/mod date is, the more the color would be a dark-red, while younger files have a light-blue color.

I think it would be another use case for the treemap. Instead of weighing the files' sizes, their age could be used to measure each file. Older files big be shown larger than younger file.
The age of a folder would be the age of the oldest containing fileor folder.

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 19:55    Post subject: Re: Color customization Reply with quote

anoved wrote:
First of all, I like the new initial window that shows how full each volume is. I have six partitions so it is a nice starting point.

I would like a way to turn that dialog off. When I'm just looking to quickly get the folder data, an extra window in the background just gets in the way.
Tjark Derlien

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, okay. It will be hidable in the next version.
Reply to topic    Disk Inventory X Support Forum : Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: